BCPs, Exercising emergency process et al

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat Dec 26 21:18:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009, Jared Mauch wrote:
> Cyberstorm III planning is underway.  If you want to participate, let
>me know, I'll connect you with the right groups.  ISP participation would
>be incredibly valuable, it's not always been there to the point where
>someone plays the role of the whole Internet.

And if you are not currently working at an ISP, DHS and lots of other
parts of US Government are trying to hire folks with network and
computer security knowledge.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/22/AR2009122203789.html

http://www.usajobs.gov/

> As much as everyone here derides the US Gov't, the new cybersecurity
>wonk, etc.. I would love to see more people engaged in these activities
>than implying some disconnected group is running things.  They WANT
>industry to participate, but getting the actual neteng types involved is
>something they don't know how to reach out to properly.

Industry, academics, public, just about anyone willing to participate can
do something.  There are reasons for the rules, processes and procedures
governments need to follow; but a good idea is a good idea.
Unfortunately, its sometimes harder to figure out what is a bad idea
before it causes trouble; because it looked like a good idea at the time.

Or to put it another way, if you don't engage, some decisions eventually
still have to get made based on what people who did engage told them.
Suggestions on how to do something better help make better decisions.

--
on vacation, just speaking for myself.