Chinese bgp metering story

Williams, Marc marc.williams at neustar.biz
Fri Dec 18 19:22:59 UTC 2009

SIIA Chair Simon Tay on Clinton's Asia visit (Bloomberg, 20th Feb 2009):

Steve Engel (Bloomberg): Speaking of provoking, where do you see Hillary
bringing the tact in bringing the issues that Obama wants to raise to the
Chinese in her trip this time. Yuan revaluation is one, and also of course
human rights is top of the agenda. Is she going to be offending her host
here?

Simon Tay: Well, I think, China is the most important relationship that
America has got across the Pacific. It's vital to them, and it's vital to
everyone, and there are a couple of nasty missteps that could be made.

I think the currency issue after the Tim Geithner confirmation statement
would be one of the trickiest things to do. I think the downturn in China
has been understood in America. The Chinese have their own domestic
audience, their own domestic concerns, and if I were Clinton's advisor, I
would tell Clinton, please don't go there too hard and too fast.

I think that the human rights issue is similar. I think the America-China
realtionship needs to go beyond these hotspots, whether it's Tibet, or
currency, and really start off on something more positive. I mean, the
tradition is (that) every (US) President starts off  China wrong, and spends
the next six years or so trying to get it right. It would be nice to see
Clinton do something different and get it right from the start.