Cogent $1500 GigE

leen at consolejunkie.net leen at consolejunkie.net
Tue Dec 15 22:56:19 UTC 2009

On 12/15/2009 09:53 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Babak Pasdar wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I am getting a big push from Cogent on their full GigE for $1.50 per
>> circuit.  What are your experiences with Cogent in general?  If on
>> the fence, how would you use their service for this deal to make sense?
>>

> $1.50 per meg. ;) I'd probably take it just because I could at that
> price. The downsides with Cogent is that they occasionally get into
> peering spats that might hurt you if you aren't multihomed, and no
> usable IPv6 (if that matters to you). I hadn't looked into it any
> further because I'm not located anywhere Cogent is to give it a
> serious look.
>
> ~Seth

Hi Seth/List,

Maybe I'm to harsh, but I just don't think of them as a full-transit.
That makes it a lot easier to make a decision about adding them.

We need atleast 2 full-transits and then possible add them to get the
price down on a good part of the traffic.

On the IPv6-side they have IPv6 in Amsterdam (where we are fairly
close), but they don't even have full-transit in the 'normal' situation
(think: HE).

We do have peering with HE, so that's atleast something. But I don't yet
know what else they are missing.

That's how I see them.

Have a nice day.