Optical fiber question

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sat Dec 12 10:13:28 UTC 2009

On 11/12/2009, at 4:58 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> You can reach much further on this, but the optics tend to be more expensive.  If you are going a short distance (eg: 2km or less) multi-mode is the way.

I can buy LH GigE SFPs for AU$67 each, MM GigE SFPs for AU$61.    AU$6 difference is really noise.

Bring on Vendor equipment with SFP+ optic support for 10G - AU$1199 for 10G-LR SFP+!

($AU = Australian Dollar which is about US 91c)

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs