news from Google

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Sat Dec 12 00:07:47 UTC 2009

Peter Beckman wrote:

>  Using a combo of Ad Blocker Plus and NoScript in Firefox helps reduce that
>  significantly, without all the popups.  But yeah, it's hard to use the
>  Internet and not get tracked by a bunch of different entities you know
>  nothing about.
>
>  Which gives further proof that my earlier statement rings true:
>
>     You don't get to have Privacy on the Internet.  It's a fallacy.  You
> have
>     to work really hard to truly have privacy on the 'net.  And lie a lot.

I'm not naive enough to think all privacy policies reflect what a
company is actually doing, but I'm surprised that people think Google
protects their privacy at the same time they practically admitting
they're selling your digital soul to whoever will pay for it. Hell, all
you gmail users on this list right now are feeding the machine with all
our data.

The part that gets me: everyone seems happy with this.

~Seth