Consumer Grade - IPV6 Enabled Router Firewalls.

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Thu Dec 3 02:28:38 UTC 2009

On 03/12/2009, at 12:45 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> Come on CPE vendors - most of your run Linux in your CPEs these days.  How hard is it to make it work?   Someone got an image working for us with OpenWRT in his spare time in a week, surely you CPE vendors can cobble something together for people to try out in a real piece of ADSL CPE I can buy at a shop?

The fact that someone got OpenWRT working in less than a week of spare
time makes it totally clear why the commercial vendors haven't done
anything:  They're just simply not interested, nothing more, nothing
less.

There's obviously no technical barrier whatsoever (otherwise, again,
OpenWRT wouldn't work).  If it can be done in a week of developer
time there's barely even an economic barrier.

It's just disinterest.

Linksys, being owned by the world's largest router vendor and being
confronted with actual independently-developed working code for their
hardware platforms, have the least excuse out of any of them.  Years
and years of talk, and no customer-visible action whatsoever.  What
an exceptionally ordinary performance.

See you in Melbourne next week, Fred :)

  - mark

--