Ready to get your federal computer license?

Scott Morris swm at emanon.com
Sat Aug 29 03:11:21 UTC 2009

I'm trying really hard to find my "paranoia hat", and just to relieve
some boredom I read the entire bill to try to figure out where this was
all coming from....

"(2) may declare a cybersecurity emergency and order the limitation or
shutdown of Internet traffic to and from any compromised Federal
Government or United States critical infrastructure information system
or network;"

Now, I'm sorry, but that doesn't say anything about shutting down the
entire Internet.  Yes, I understand the idea that since they COULD
possibly deem the entire Internet (that Al Gore created?) a critical
infrastructure, it would seem simple enough to put a provision in to
prevent that.  But IMHO the point is to involve people outside the
government (read the parts on establishing the committee and voting on
rules/regs) as opposed to dictating to them.

And it's no different than it is today for groups that have to connect
to/from particular agencies within the government.  There's already
plenty of rules in place about that.

So if someone hacks the electric grid, does it not make sense to unplug
that portion of the infrastructrure from the Internet until the problem
is fixed?  (e.g. shut down traffic to/from)  I think someone wrote an
article after WAY over-thinking this whole thing and everyone else jumps
on the bandwagon.

So I'm open to hearing about things if I missed them.  Reading Senate
Bills isn't all that exciting, so it's possible I zoned out a bit, but
can someone explain to me where this thought process is coming from?

Thanks!

Scott