FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Aug 28 15:07:12 UTC 2009

In a message written on Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:00:32AM -0500, Jack Bates wrote:
> Leo Bicknell wrote:
> >In most locations every home has electrical service.  What's the
> >cost per household?
>
> $20/mo electric bill. That would so rock.

There is the cost to put the line in to your house, and then the cost
for the 100Kva of servers you have in your basement. :)

Now, $20/month plus $1 per megabit, 95% for a GigE line....that would
rock.

> >Most houses have a statem maintained road in front of them, what
> >is the cost per household?
>
> Paid for by City/County or more commonly by the land owner. New
> development in Lone Grove, for example requires the developer to put the
> road in, and then it's wrapped into the house cost. The city will not
> take over the roads otherwise. Lots of gravel roads here.

Unless I'm mistaken, in new construction the developer pays for the
electrical install, the cable install, the telephone install, and
the road install.  In some cases these are subsidized, and in some
the costs are spread around (e.g. when an entire neighborhood is
being developed).

I don't see why Broadband should be any different.

> It is easier and more cost efficient to build out during new
> construction of homes than to retrofit plant after the fact.

In most areas of the country you can't get a permit to build a house
without electrical service (something solar and other off the grid
people are fighting).  Since it is so much more cost effective to
install with new construction, why don't we have codes requring
Cat5 drops in every room, and fiber to the home for all new
construction?