FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Aug 28 15:00:32 UTC 2009

Leo Bicknell wrote:
> In most locations every home has electrical service.  What's the
> cost per household?

$20/mo electric bill. That would so rock.

> Most houses have a statem maintained road in front of them, what
> is the cost per household?

Paid for by City/County or more commonly by the land owner. New
development in Lone Grove, for example requires the developer to put the
road in, and then it's wrapped into the house cost. The city will not
take over the roads otherwise. Lots of gravel roads here.

> Many (although a lower number) of "city" water and sewer, what is
> the cost per household?

Way lower number. I'd be surprised if the "city" water and sewer here
covers 25% of the city. Most water is cover by a rural water company.

> For a number of reasons I would expect Broadband to be cheaper than any
> of those, per household; but should definately not exceed any of them in
> cost.

A friend has a well and there is a water pipe running just outside their
property. They were quoted $20k to "hook on" to the water and they would
still have to run the line themselves. A lot of residential services are
paid for by the home owners by virtue of the developer.

It is easier and more cost efficient to build out during new
construction of homes than to retrofit plant after the fact.

Jack