FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Aug 28 14:19:50 UTC 2009

Joe Greco wrote:
> We've *already* subsidized the telcos $200 billion for a next generation
> broadband-capable plant, that was supposed to be LEC-neutral...

Yeah, not every telco participated, though the RBOCs sure did.

> So, we've *already* paid the plant cost, and we've gotten nothing much in
> return.

Looking at just Oklahoma, I'm not sure AT&T could get even 200kb to
every household for $200b.

More interesting, I'd be curious to see how well NSP's could handle the
increase in traffic if every house support 45mb of Internet (not local
video/voice). I'd love to see some good data on how the average
throughput changes as the rates go up, especially with the continued
increase of higher bandwidth video.

Jack