FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Fri Aug 28 03:11:50 UTC 2009

The background issue is whether satellite-based systems at around 200
Kb/s and high latency can be defined as "broadband." Since everyone in
America - including the Alaskans - has access to satellite services,
defining that level of service as broadband makes the rest of the
exercise academic: everyone is "served." There's no economic argument
for government subsidies to multiple firms in a market, of course.

It's more interesting considering that DirecTV is about to launch a new
satellite with a couple orders of magnitude more capacity than the
existing ones offer. I seem to recall their claiming that the service
would then improved to some respectable number of megabits/sec.
Satellite ISPs locate their ground stations in IXP-friendly locations,
so there aren't any worries about backhaul or fiber access costs.

But to your actual question, "under-served" is of course quite
subjective and cost is clearly part of it.

RB

--
Richard Bennett
Research Fellow