FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Wed Aug 26 17:25:31 UTC 2009

The trouble with broadband in rural America is the twisted pair loop lengths
that average around 20,000 feet. To use VDSL, the loop length needs to down
around 3000, so they're stuck with ADSL unless the ILEC wants to install a
lot of repeaters. And VDSL is the enabler of triple play over twisted pair.

And apparently a number of rural cablecos, who have a suitable copper co-ax
plant, haven't seen fit to offer what they call "data service." It's ironic,
since cable TV was actually invented to help the rural user.

Apparently the purpose of the definition is to ensure that the subsidies
don't do down the rathole of supporting easy upgrades, but as others have
mentioned, one definition for "broadband" isn't very useful unless it's
something like "10 times faster than what I had yesterday."

I like to say first gen broadband is 10 times faster than a modem or 500
Kb/s; second gen is 5 Mb/s, and third is 50 or faster.

Richard Bennett