OSPF vs IS-IS vs PrivateAS eBGP

Philip Smith pfs at cisco.com
Thu Aug 20 13:26:50 UTC 2009

Clue Store said the following on 20/8/09 01:12 :

> I know this has been discussed probably many times on this list, but I was
> looking for some specifics about what others are doing in the following
> situations.

Discussed on list, presented in tutorials, how much more advice is
actually required? ;-)

> I would like to run an IGP (currently OSPF) to our customers that are
> multi-homed

Several have replied saying "don't ever do this". The I in IGP stands
for "interior" - which means "inside" your network, which does not mean
"outside" your network. For the latter, we have BGP - if BGP for some
reason seems too hard, check out the NANOG tutorials on the subject.

Good luck!

philip