OSPF vs IS-IS vs PrivateAS eBGP

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Thu Aug 20 12:13:31 UTC 2009

Do not EVER run an SPF routing protocol with your customer. They can insert
anything they want into it (due to configuration mistake, malicious intent
or third-party hijacking) and your whole network (or at least the other
customers) will be affected.

Just to give you a few examples:

* They could hijack the host route to your DNS server and spoof every other
customer of yours that uses your DNS
* They could hijack the host route to your POP3 server and collect the
usernames and passwords of your residential users
* Company A could hijack the host route to the web server of company B.
* They could insert a better default route than you do and at least some of
your routers will listen to them.
* If they ever make a total mess and start flapping their LSAs, your whole
network will be affected and all your routers will burn CPU running SPF
algorithm.

If you absolutely insist on not using BGP (but then BGP is the only
currently available routing protocol designed to handle routing in scenarios
where the two parties don't necessarily trust each other), use RIP. It's
safer than OSPF, at least you can filter the incoming updates.

Ivan

http://www.ioshints.info/about
http://blog.ioshints.info/