TransAtlantic 40 Gig Waves

Rod Beck Rod.Beck at hiberniaatlantic.com
Fri Aug 14 19:13:25 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu [mailto:Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu]
Sent: Fri 8/14/2009 8:12 PM
To: Rod Beck
Cc: Matthew Moyle-Croft; nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: TransAtlantic 40 Gig Waves

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 19:55:36 BST, Rod Beck said:

> Well, the funny thing is that when I approached bandwidth buyers at some
> well known publicly traded carriers, they told me that 40 gig waves
> across the Atlantic were impossible.

Theoretically impossible, or just "impossible on the fiber that's already
underwater"? Big difference there.

Impossilbe on the existing undersea cables.

> Indeed, when we decided to launch LAN PHY 10 GigE, the builder of our cable
> system told us it wasn't possible.

Again, was this "impossible on a cable the builder was about to build", or
"impossible on the cable that the builder put under the water already"?

Impossible on our cable. The one they built.