Residential BW Planning

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Aug 13 03:47:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, sjk wrote:

> I am trying to perform some capacity planning for some of our
> residential pops, but the old calcs I used to use seem useless -- as
> they were adapted from the dialup days and relied upon a percentage of
> users online (~50%) and a percentage of concurrent transmission (~19%).
> My present scenario involves a micro-pop terminating 250 residences
> where users are expecting 4 mb/s. So I am looking for some baseline to
> begin at, so I am wondering what others are doing.
>
> Any thoughts are appreciated.

I've seen everything from ~20 kilobit/s/user at peak, to over 400
(measured at 5 minute average with mrtg with ~500 users).

It differs a lot if you get the "mom and pop"-userbase or if you have
bunch of students who are downloading/streaming stuff all the time.

Generally, comparing ADSL 8/1 to ETTH 10/10 or 100/100, download doesn't
differ much, but symmetric speed users put out factor 4 more traffic (8/1
users upload half as much as what they download, ETTH users upload double
what they download).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se