Follow up to previous post regarding SAAVIS

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 21:45:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:57:07 -0400, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net>
wrote:
> I've come to the conclusion that if someone put a nice web2.0+ interface
> on creating and managing these objects it would be a lot easier.
>
> If there were a customer portal where you could visit to say "update my
> prefix-list/acl to include the following new prefix(es), and push the
> change /now/" I presume that would drive customer utilization of these
> services and allow people to manage things "better".

That's fine... until you learn the hard way 9 times out of 10, the person
heading to such a thing is a clueless moron.  As much as it is a pain in
the rear, having *people* proofing and editing the BGP configuration is
far less work than creating the AI needed to keep idiots from doing
idiotic things.

I've never worked for any of the tier-1 beasts, but I have had to manage
dozens of customer BGP sessions. Over a decade, I never dealt with a
clueful customer... we cannot announce address space that doesn't belong
to you; you cannot announce *our* address space to other ISPs; you have
one f'ing link, why do you need BGP? (note: never actually ask that
question or mute your phone immediately after asking.)

How often do your prefixes change?  In my experience adding new netblocks
and/or customers, taking a few weeks to get things setup wasn't a problem;
it'd take that long to get their connection turned up. (and if they were
talking about BGP, sales would be talking to us before the contract was
signed.)

--Ricky