Follow up to previous post regarding SAAVIS

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Aug 12 21:23:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 04:57:07PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:

> I've come to the conclusion that if someone put a nice web2.0+
> interface on creating and managing these objects it would be a lot
> easier.

Agreed, this is one of the projects I've been working on just haven't
had the time to finish it. But please allow me to put in a shameless
plug for IRR PowerTools, which many networks (including a couple tier
1s) use to do their IRR:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/irrpt/

The highlights are:

* Automated retrieval of prefixes registered behind an IRR Object.
* Automatic exclusion of bogon or other configured undesirable routes.
* Tracking and long-term recording of prefix changes over time.
* Automatic aggregation to optimize data and reduce unnecessary changes.
* E-mail updates, letting users know that their change was processed.
* E-mail alerts to the ISP, letting them know of new routing changes.
* E-mail alerts to non-IRR using networks, with plain text changes.
* Router config generation, for easy automated config deployment.

I'm also in the process of beta testing a new 2.0 version which will be
significantly rewritten for easier more scalable use, have a lot fewer
dependencies, integrate better with db backend systems to customer
prefix-list management, and fully support IPv6. Oh and there might just
be a web gui for managing and using it too, if I can find a decent web
developer who will do it for free. :) I'm hoping to have this out in the
next couple of months.