Visualizing BGP paths

Michael Jager mike at mikej.net.nz
Wed Aug 12 21:16:18 UTC 2009

On 13/08/09 03:38, Dylan Ebner wrote:

> I have been working on a project to better illustrate for our manages
> the provider path data takes when it flows from one of our customers to
> our datacenter. I have tried to use trace routes to illustrate the
> number of hops data takes, but when I try to show many sources on one
> page, it gets fairly messy quickly. I am also less concerned with the
> number of hops, and more concerned with the number of providers.
> Does anyone know of a toolset that will take a list of source IP's and a
> destination IP and show graphically which as numbers the packets need to
> traverse to reach our datacenter? I am thinking of something like this:
> http://www.robtex.com/as/as19629.html#graph, but instead of all the
> upstreams it would show something like AS16150 -> AS1239 -> AS209 ->
> AS19629.

I find Perry Lorier's traceroute mesh server (http://tr.meta.net.nz) in
"Grouped by AS" mode (do a "Full Traceroute" first to find the Grouped
by AS option) pretty useful as a general "how do other people reach us?"
tool. I don't think it's exactly what you want, but could possibly be
something to start with?

-Mike