DOS in progress ?

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Fri Aug 7 00:20:21 UTC 2009

On Aug 6, 2009, at 5:29 PM, Christoph Blecker wrote:

> It looks like there is something more widespread today. I've noticed a
> couple other sites having issues. LiveJournal has confirmed they are
> under attack as well:
> http://community.livejournal.com/lj_maintenance/125027.html

This is interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/07/technology/internet/07twitter.html

Most computer security analysts did not cite a specific source of the
attack Thursday.

But Bill Woodcock, a research director of the Packet Clearing House, a
nonprofit technical organization that tracks Internet traffic, said
Thursday’s attack was an extension of the conflict between Russia and
Georgia. It was not clear who initiated the attack, he said, but
likely “one side put up propaganda, the other side figured this out
and is attacking them.”

Instead of using a botnet, or a network of thousands of malware-
infected personal computers to flood a site with traffic, Mr. Woodcock
said this particular attack consisted of a wave of spam e-mail
messages, which began infiltrating Twitter and other sites at 10:25
a.m. Eastern time. “It’s a vast increase in traffic that creates the
denial-of-service,” he said.

YouTube and LiveJournal were also affected, Mr. Woodcock said,
although “Twitter was definitely hit the hardest.” YouTube said it had
not noticed any problems with its service.

While I certainly trust PCH, I would be curious as to the evidence for
this.

Regards

Marshall