DNS alternatives (was Re: Dan Kaminsky)

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Aug 5 15:24:56 UTC 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:11 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

>  For all it's short comings the DNS and the single namespace it
> brings is much better than
> having a multitude of namespaces.

I agree with you, but I don't think this approach is going to persist
as the standard model.

Increasingly, transport and what we now call layer-7 are going to
become conflated (we already see all these Rube Goldberg-type
mechanisms to try and accomplish this OOB now, with predictable
results), and that's going to lead to APIs/data types embedding this
information, IMHO.

         Unfortunately, inefficiency scales really well.

		   -- Kevin Lawton