DNS alternatives (was Re: Dan Kaminsky)

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Aug 5 14:43:31 UTC 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 9:32 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

> We might have an alternative one day, but it's going to happen by
> accident, through generalization of an internal naming service
> employed by a widely-used application.

Or even more likely, IMHO, that more and more applications will have
their own naming services which will gradually reduce the perceived
need for a general-purpose system - i.e., the centrality of DNS won't
be subsumed into any single system (remember X.500?), but, rather, by
a multiplicity of systems.

[Note that I'm not advocating this particular approach; I just think
it's the most likely scenario.]

Compression/conflation of the transport stack will likely be both a
driver and an effect of this trend, over time.

         Unfortunately, inefficiency scales really well.

		   -- Kevin Lawton