Beware surfers: cyberspace is filling up

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Apr 30 21:20:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:55:44 MDT, "J.D. Falk" said:

> (I don't even know where to start.)

Seen in a /etc/motd well over 2 decades ago:

/dev/earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

(OK, a tad drastic, I admit. ;)

"When Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the British scientist, wrote the code that
transformed a private computer network into the world wide web in 1989, the
internet appeared to be a limitless resource."

WTF? I remember cursing the congestion on our T-1 link to Suranet in 1989 a lot
more often than I curse our 10G link today.  Was *anybody* seeing bandwidth as
limitless in 1989? ;)