one shot remote root for linux?

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Thu Apr 30 19:52:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Andre Gironda wrote:

> ESXi doesn't require much Linux (just busybox), but I think the point
> is that the VMkernel (the hypervisor) and the service console (Linux)
> are separate entities.  The SC is really a VM, so it depends more on
> VMkernel than VMkernel depends on it.

So it's a VM, which is required to be booted in order to be able to
load the hypervisor? Seems an unusual definition of VM to me..

Also, which code handles the I/O to load the other, less special,
VMs? The Linux fs and block layer, or the VMWare hypervisor?

Anyway, I fear we're about to be kicked into touch by the
moderators..

regards,