Question. Cisco PIX/ASA

Jo¢ jbfixurpc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 22:04:51 UTC 2009

Greetings all

I have a customer running with a Cisco 5500 series firewall. What were
seeing (as a problem) is that there is a bit being flipped by the firewall
in the packet header. The bit in question is the Congession Window Reduced
or CWR bit. Under heavy load the target server is getting this bit as high
and since (I am guessing) its that way dropping the session yet its not near
capacity. It’s a Microsoft server as well. Not that I am knocking that but.
Under the same situation a Linux/Apache server doesn't seem to care, and
goes about its business. Anyone heard of this? I did searches regarding this
but found (as per usual) tons of usless info.  I'm not sure why the packets
are being changed by the ASA. I know there not hitting the firewall this way
(Packet capture) but they are getting changed. Config mishap? Is the ASA
throttling down stuff, and if so why not at the requesting party?

Dunno. Completely baffled. Thanks In Advance!

-Joe