Study of IPv6 Deployment

Harald Firing Karlsen maillist at thelan.no
Tue Apr 28 17:30:38 UTC 2009

Elliott Karpilovsky wrote:
> Hello everyone. My name is Elliott Karpilovsky, a student at Princeton University. In collaboration with Alex Gerber (AT&T Research), Dan Pei (AT&T Research), Jennifer Rexford (Princeton University), and Aman Shaikh (AT&T Research), we studied the extent of IPv6 deployment at both global and local levels. Our conclusions can be summarized by the following three points:
>
> 1.) IPv6 deployment is not seen as a pressing issue.
> 2.) We saw a lack of meaningful IPv6 traffic (mostly DNS/Domain and ICMP messages), possibly indicating that IPv6 networks are still experimental.
> 3.) Studying Teredo traffic suggested that it may be used for NAT busting by P2P networks.
>
> Our paper (submitted and presented at PAM 2009) can be found at http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~elliottk/ipv6study.html . If you have comments or feedback with respect to these results, please feel free to express them.
>
> Thank you.

Hi!

Please check out the following link with some information/statistics
from a LAN-party taking place in Norway (yeah, Norway is in Europe, not
North America, but it stills give an overview):
http://technet.gathering.org/?p=121

There were over 5000 computers in the arena and of those 47% had a valid
and working IPv6 address. They was also provided with IPv4 and no NAT at
all. The only ports being closed outbound was 25, 135-139 and 445.
Google over IPv6 was enabled for the event as well, so a lot of the
traffic was towards google.

--
Harald Firing Karlsen