Concerning MPLS paths

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Tue Apr 28 09:13:05 UTC 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 4:51 AM, Saqib Ilyas wrote:

> Anyone?
>

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Saqib Ilyas <msaqib at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Furthermore, I was also wondering, if the bandwidth constraints are
>> upper
>> bounds, what does the traffic distribution typically look like at
>> an LSR?

It clearly depends on what that traffic is.

The MPLS services I am most familiar with carry video traffic, with
traffic patterns that look very different from the typical web site
(generally the traffic is either on or off, there is very little
"burstiness," there can be long periods of basically full usage of the
available bandwidth and, if you commit to X Mbps, you had better
actually have it, not X - epsilon). I would guess that this is one end
of the spectrum, that bursty web traffic is the other, and that most
other uses (such as VOIP) fall somewhere in between.

Regards
Marshall

>> We're interested in traffic within a single service provider, non-
>> Internet
>> traffic. Perhaps most service providers set aside some (dynamic?)
>> pool for
>> Internet traffic, while making commitments to customer's inter-site
>> traffic.
>> Thanks and best regards

>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Saqib Ilyas <msaqib at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> William
>>> Thanks for the reply. You say that LSPs are not static unless you
>>> use TE
>>> tunnels. Are you referring to the staticness in terms of the path
>>> or in the
>>> amount of bandwidth reserved on each link along a fixed path
>>> determined at
>>> the time of signalling? Isn't a bandwidth constrained LSP always a
>>> TE
>>> tunnel?
>>> Thanks and best regards
>>>

>>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 5:41 PM, William McCall <william.mccall at gmail.com

>>> --
>>> Muhammad Saqib Ilyas
>>> PhD Student, Computer Science and Engineering
>>> Lahore University of Management Sciences
>>>

>> --
>> Muhammad Saqib Ilyas
>> PhD Student, Computer Science and Engineering
>> Lahore University of Management Sciences
>>

> --
> Muhammad Saqib Ilyas
> PhD Student, Computer Science and Engineering
> Lahore University of Management Sciences

Regards
Marshall Eubanks
CEO / AmericaFree.TV