route flap dampening

David Storandt dstorandt at teljet.com
Mon Apr 27 19:13:09 UTC 2009

We're using Cisco 6509 MSFC2s for core engines with three 85% route
feeds and Cisco-default route flap suppression. Yeah, the default flap
suppression parameters are aggressive but we want to be sure we don't
hog precious CPU cycles from a nasty route flap and provide more
consistent routes to our downstreams. We can't take a full route table
(232k) due to TCAM limitations, so we have default routes anyway.
There's only a subtle impact to our customers with maybe a less
preferable, stable path versus a better, flapping one. A better
bargain in our book, but maybe not for others... CPU runs around
10-12% all day.

If we had more router CPU and no default routes, we'd probably have
dampening enabled but at very high thresholds under similar network
policies.

-D