Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Apr 24 20:39:14 UTC 2009

> From: Skywing <Skywing at valhallalegends.com>
> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:55:07 -0500
>
> Of course, sftp and other ssh-based protocols are *still* hamstrung to
> a maximum of 32k data outstanding due to hardcoded SSH channel window
> sizes by default for most people, unless you're patching up both your
> clients and servers.
>
> Sadly, this blows ssh out of the water for anything with even modest
> high-bitrate requirements over moderate-BDP links.

The HPN patches for OpenSSH are readily available and, at least on
FreeBSD, including them is just a single checkbox when you install.

That said, I have been told that there is a corner case where a transfer
using the HPN patches will lock up. I have never seen it, but that is
purported to be the reason that OpenBSD has not accepted the patches
for the base OpenSSH software.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)