integrated KVMoIP and serial console terminal server

Luke S Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Fri Apr 24 18:33:18 UTC 2009

Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> writes:
> What is everybody's favourite combination rack-mount VGA/USB KVM-over-
> IP and serial console concentrator in 2009?
>
> I'm looking for something that will accommodate 8 or so 9600bps serial
> devices and about 12 VGA/USB devices, all reachable over IP via sane
> means (ssh, https, etc). Being able to trunk everything through cat5E/
> RJ45 plant is not necessary; in this application everything is in the
> same cabinet.

I can't speak to the KVM over IP (for *NIX, they are obviously
inferior to serial)  but I do have some suggestions for the serial end.

Personally, I use an opengear cm4148;   it seems to work fairly well.

If I only needed 8 ports, I'd still be using my solution from 2005, which
was an 8 port rocketport serial card in a FreeBSD box.  I only moved to
the opengear because I need many more ports

I like both the opengear and the freebsd box because I can use ssh auth,
I can log, and I can lock down each user so that a given private key can
only view a certain port.