integrated KVMoIP and serial console terminal server

Martin Hannigan martin at theicelandguy.com
Fri Apr 24 17:55:14 UTC 2009

Have you considered VM's for remote OS access to win devices and
eliminating vga/kb requirements?

If you are looking for console uptime and ease of use, avoid anything
with moving parts (disk) and go with cisco.  Consider the secondary
market for the concentrator and cards to keep costs very low.
Alternatively, I like MRV.

Console will work fine over cat5, but if your cabinet is going to be
'busy' you should consider going shielded. Cisco asynch octo cables
are shielded iirc, but I prefer in cabinet xcon for ease of use so if
that's your technique too shield the xcon. You won't regret it.

Best,

Martin

Martin Hannigan                               martin at theicelandguy.com
p: +16178216079
Power, Network, and Costs Consulting for Iceland Datacenters and Occupants