integrated KVMoIP and serial console terminal server

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Fri Apr 24 17:40:05 UTC 2009

We have just implemented Avocent console and power concentrators.
Console servers are reachable via a highly customizable web interface.
The Avocent software can also be virtualized on VMWare. Console
connectivity can be provisioned to first try SSH via the IP network, and
automatically failover to a dial-up modem connection if the network is
down. For power both AC and DC power supplies are supported. With DC the
battery plant main fuse panel connects to the device that is used to
power cycle the electronic equipment using low amperage "grasshopper"
fuses for each device. I believe that Avocent is the only vendor with DC
power-cycle support.

The serial cables for the device consoles do not require power supplies
as indicated below.