Config Backup / Inventory

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Apr 24 11:45:58 UTC 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 4:25 AM, Joshua Eyres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a bit of advice around configuration backup /
> inventory. We
> currently have a large multi-vendor network which is currently managed
> through two separate tools (rancid - http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid
> and ns4
> - http://www.noodles.org.uk/ns4.html). Both tools do the job very
> well, but
> management have asked that we look for commercial alternatives that
> have a
> proper support organisation looking after them.

Yay for management...

> IP Service Activator has been mentioned as something which can fit
> this
> role, but I haven't had any experience and I haven't heard a lot of
> good
> things about it. We are looking for a tool which is flexible that
> allows
> configuration backup to textual form for easy restoration as well as
> the
> ability to deploy scripted changes to the network quickly.
>
> Do people generally use free tools for network management or are there
> viable commercial alternatives?

A large large number of people use things like RANCID and / or some
homegrown things... The people who are using commercial products (for
the above role) are usually doing so because they were saddled with
these requirements by management and / or are a windows shop..

As you say, RANCID is working well, maybe if you explain the costs
involved in installing / migrating to and supporting a commercial
product your management will see things saner?