integrated KVMoIP and serial console terminal server

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Apr 23 22:17:58 UTC 2009

Hi all,

What is everybody's favourite combination rack-mount VGA/USB KVM-over-
IP and serial console concentrator in 2009?

I'm looking for something that will accommodate 8 or so 9600bps serial
devices and about 12 VGA/USB devices, all reachable over IP via sane
means (ssh, https, etc). Being able to trunk everything through cat5E/
RJ45 plant is not necessary; in this application everything is in the
same cabinet.

Avocent seem to make a likely-looking box, but (a) it's a bit insanely
expensive, and (b) the adapters that you connect using RJ45 to the
avocent and via RS232 to the serial devices *each seem to require a
power supply* which frankly makes me recoil in horror. Perhaps I mis-
read the glossy web page.

Advice would be appreciated; direct mail is fine; I can summarise back
to the list if there is interest in me doing so.

Joe