Broadband Subscriber Management

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Apr 23 13:26:09 UTC 2009

Arie Vayner wrote:
> You need also to remember that in many cases the DSL link is not provided by
> the actual ISP. In many cases this is a wholesale scenario which uses L2TP
> to forward the PPP session from the telco/DSL provider to the ISP.
> In many cases there would also be another L2TP hop to another
> sub-ISP/customer.

I have this exact setup (we are the sub-ISP). Sorry to sway this thread,
but it seems like a good opportunity to ask about a problem I'm having.

We went from a setup where the DSL provider's LNSs would auth/acct
against our RADIUS server. This was working great for billing as
previously discussed.

Recently, there was another ISP inserted into the mix, between us and
the DSL provider.

The problem is that I now see RADIUS entries from both company's LNSs
for each PPPoE login, which completely throws off the accounting numbers.

Is there anyone here who can provide any insight as to whether this is
normal, and/or how to fix it? We only do the authentication for our DSL
subs.

Essentially, I want to stop receiving the LNS connection info from the
DSL provider itself, and only receive the ones coming from the
intermediary ISP. I'm not particularly familiar with the specifics of an
LNS configuration, but it would be great if I had some information that
I could discuss with the provider in hopes to get this turned off (if
possible):

user            213:ISP  xx.xx.38.134     Thu Apr 23 07:37 - 07:41
user            818:DSL                   Thu Apr 23 07:37 - 07:41

Steve