NAT64/NAT-PT update in IETF, was: Re: Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests [re "impacting revenue"]

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Apr 23 12:24:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 08:17:07PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>
> > Some wag around here re-christened it the IVTF (V stands for Vendor, not
> > Victory). ;-)  I haven't bothered to go in years....
>
> If the people with operational experience stop going, you can't blame the group for
> being full of vendors.
>
> Methinks its time a large cabal of network operators should represent
> at IETF and make their opinions heard as a collective group.
> That would be how change is brought about in a participative organisation,
> no? :)
>
> Adrian

	Operator participation in IETF has been a problem for at least
	18 years.  I remember a fairly large dustup w/ John Curran and
	Scott Bradner over why the OPS area was so lacking in actual
	operators at the Columbus IETF.  Its never gotten any better.

	IETF used to be populated by developers and visionaries (grad students
	with lofty ideas).   Once commercialization set in (they graduated
	and got jobs)  their  funding sources changed from government grants
	to salaries.   And management took a more active role.  the outcome
	is that vendors now control much of the IETF participation and indirectly
	control IETF output.

	just my 0.02 from the cheap seats.

--bill