IPv4 Anycast?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Apr 22 21:51:20 UTC 2009

On Apr 22, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
> Joe Provo wrote:
>> And the overall message is that only the (prefix holder|originating
>> ASn[s]) can tell you if it is intended or not.  Sadly, this is not
>> a useful metric for a third-party to use to determine prefix
>> annoucnement legitimacy.  Perhaps an update to RPSL to allow for
>> intentional multiple origins is overdue?
>
> Legitimacy no, but it does lead one to believe that most anycast
> (given > 3 locations) is homogeneous. I would love multiple origin
> support.

There are tons which have 2 origin ASes.  I realize that's not a lot
of locations by today's anycast standards, but it is probably still
common.

OTOH: "Serious" anycast obviously requires more than 2, so I grant
your point.  The overwhelming majority of anycast is done from
homogeneous origin AS.

Which means I was right. :)

--
TTFN,