Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Apr 22 15:24:03 UTC 2009

At 18:39 -0500 4/20/09, Joe Greco wrote:

>Knowing that blatant lying about IP space justifications has been an
>ongoing game in the community, ARIN has decided to "do something" about
>it.

I don't draw that direct conclusion.  Although it may sound like "we
know you've been lying so we want to hear from your parents" this can
be read more benignly as "we want to make sure your parents know
what's going on."

>And why would the answer be any different, now?

No, but now, if you (the engineer) have been telling non-technical
management that there's a need to investigate IPv6 and management has
been turning a deaf ear, you now have "backup" - a second source for
management to get the message from that they ought to think about
IPv6 plans.

PS - this is based upon lessons learned when I worked for a US fed
agency.  When the network folks said we needed $X thousand of dollars
for 10BaseT deployment across the campus we were ignored.  When each
division asked each directorate and they asked the budget committee
for what amounted to $X thousand to have the networks deploy 10BaseT
(two years on), we got the job.
Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

Getting everything you want is easy if you don't want much.