Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Apr 22 14:42:49 UTC 2009

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:17:38AM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:

> > >	well, pretty much anyone who has large datasets to move around.
> > >	that default 64k buffer in the openssl libs pretty much sucks
> > >	rocks for large data flows.
> >
> > So you're saying FTP with no SSL is better than HTTP with no SSL?
>
> 	(see me LEAPING to conclusions....)
>
> 	yes.  (although I was actually thinking  http w/ SSL vs FTP w/o SSL)
> 	a really good review of the options was presented at the DoE/JT meeting
> 	at UNL last summer.  Basically, tuned FTP w/ large window support is
> 	still king for pushing large datasets around.

Why not just put it all in an e-mail attachment.  Geez.  Everyone knows
that's a great idea.

While HTTP remains popular as a way to interact with humans, especially if
you want to try to do redirects, acknowledge license agreements, etc., FTP
is the file transfer protocol of choice for basic file transfer, and can
be trivially automated, optimized, and is overall a good choice for file
transfer.

Does anyone know what "FTP" stands for, anyways?  I've always wondered...

... JG