The real issue

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Apr 22 03:49:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> arin never (nor do any RIR) guarantee routability, nor do they even a
> method to affect routability of a network.

Sure they do.  They can and have put pressure on networks to stop
advertisements from being propagated.  What they can actually do if their
bluff is called, I have no idea, but I've seen their influence work.

>> 2) Have the current "owner" pay the market rate for the IP space
>
> ... that's somewhat hard since the current policies don't support
> that, and there is no real legal stance for legacy-allocations... For
> allocated post-legacy-times ARIN can start court proceedings, but ...
> that's a lengthy process and expensive.

Having looked back at old copies of the domain-template.txt and
internet-number-template.txt, I really don't see why one group was
grandfathered in with an indefinite free ride and the other was not at
all.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |