Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 03:39:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:07:08 -0400, Daniel Senie <dts at senie.com> wrote:
> You are out of touch. FTP is used by nearly EVERY web hosting provider
> for updates of web sites. Anonymous FTP is not used.

These are not random, anonymous ftp connections.  These are people who
login with a username and password, and are therefore, identifiable; and
even then, it's for access to manage their own site.  A single IP address
pointing to a single server (or farm of servers) will, and DOES, work just
fine.  I know, because I've done it for ~15 years.

When I ask "who", I'm asking about a paid for, external service -- just
like web hosting.  No one calls up 1-800-Host-My-Crap and asks for "an FTP
server".

Bottom line... if your justification for a /19 is "FTP servers", you are
fully justified in laughing at them as you hang up the phone.