Any experience with EoMPLS PE switches?

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Wed Apr 22 00:59:02 UTC 2009

Looking to migrate away from a VLAN centric core to provision client
TLS circuits into something a little more scalable.  EoMPLS seems like
the apple to chew these days.

Anyone have any experience with a cost effective EoMPLS PE (VPLS is
likely going to be a necessity down the road too) that also does what
any other purpose built edge switch would do?  QinQ, L2 protocol
tunneling, port security (MAC lock down, UNI ports, etc), DHCP server,
LACP, MSTP, BGP/OSPF/ISIS?  In a perfect world, this thing would be
about 1U, have between 12-24 ports, mixed mode (SFP + RJ45)
10/100/1000, dual DC power.  Not looking to burn up glass by pulling
all our customers back to a central aggregation box, so we'd be
looking to drop one or more of these devices into all of our on-net
buildings (40 or so), so they'd have to be relatively cost effective.

Cisco doesn't seem to have anything reasonably priced.
I haven't had much luck keeping MRV's 910 series from crashing.

Off-list replies are probably fine.  If there is any genuine interest,
I'd be happy to post my findings.

Thanks in advance.