Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Tue Apr 21 23:22:08 UTC 2009

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> said:
>> Since
>> virtual web hosting has no technical justification for IP space, I
>> refuse it.
>
> SSL and FTP are techincal justifications for an IP per site.

Right. Also, monthly bandwidth monitoring/shaping/capping are more
easily done using one ip per hosted domain, or ftp site, or whatever.
Otherwise you are parsing logs or using 3rd party apache modules.
It's a convenience which would not be looked at twice, if it were on
ipv6. All the more reason to move to ipv6. :-)

Ken

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific Internet - http://www.pacific.net