Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests [re "impacting revenue"]

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Tue Apr 21 23:21:44 UTC 2009

Jo Rhett wrote:
> Let's translate that:  There is no consensus in the community who defines
> goals and objectives for ARIN to do Something.

And there is no consensus because the process and/or community has not been
capable of the task.  Design-by-committee is a problem we are all familiar
with.  The resolution is to either A) apply direction from outside the
committee, B) wait until things get bad enough that they can achieve
consensus (if that is an option), or C) wait for a higher authority to step
in (as occurred recently when the DOC gave ICANN direction regarding TLDs).

Given a choice I'd take plan A.  Direction could come from ARIN directors
by way of their advocacy, issuing RFCs, offering financial incentives, and
a number of other things to speed the process (of reclaiming unused IPs and
of incentivizing the IETF).  Taking a hands-off position and waiting for
consensus to develop, well, that will just lead to B or C.  Do you
disagree?  Are there other options?

> Can you tell me how we can hijack the process and subjugate the
> community to our will?

Would the process survive addresses exhaustion?

Roger