Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests [re "impacting revenue"]

Shane Ronan sronan at fattoc.com
Tue Apr 21 21:42:58 UTC 2009

I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me, but these responses seem like a
big cop out to me.

A) If ARIN is so concerned about the potential depletion of v4
resources, they should be taking a more proactive roll in proposing
potential solutions and start conversation rather then saying that the
users should come up with a proposal which they then get a big vote one.

B) Again, while it might be the IETF's "job", shouldn't the group
trusted with the management of the IP space at least have a public
opinion about these solutions are designed. Ensuring that they are
designed is such a way to guarantee maximum adoption of v6 and thus
reducing the potential for depletion of v4 space.

C) Are ARIN's books open for public inspection? If so, it might be
interesting for the group to see where all our money is going, since
it's obviously not going to outreach and solution planning. Perhaps it
is being spent in a reasonable manner, and the fees are where they
need to be to sustain the organizations reasonable operations, but
perhaps not.

Mr Curran, given the response you've seen from the group, and in
particular the argument that most CEO's or Officers of firms will
simply sign off on what they IT staff tells them (as they have little
to no understanding of the situation), can you explain what exactly
you are hoping to achieve by heaping on yet an additional requirement
to the already over burdensome process of receiving an IPv4 allocation?

Shane Ronan

--Opinions contained herein are strictly my own--