IXP

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Apr 21 20:21:22 UTC 2009

On Monday 20 April 2009 18:57:01 Niels Bakker wrote:
> Ethernet has no administrative boundaries that can be delineated.
> Spanning one broadcast domain across multiple operators is therefore
> a recipe for disaster.

Isn't this the problem that NBMA networks like ATM were built for?

> Cheap, fast, secure.  It is obvious which two Ethernet chose.

And which two ATM chose.  Although secondhand ATM gear is coming down in
price....

ATM has its own issues, but the broadcast layer 2 problem isn't one of them.
Seems to me Ethernet layer 2 stuff is just trying today to do what ATM gear did
ten years ago.  Faster, of course, but still much the same.

But, again, too bad ATM was just too expensive, and too different, and Gigabit
Ethernet just too easy (at the time).