Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests [re "impacting revenue"]

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue Apr 21 16:01:26 UTC 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:19 AM, Roger Marquis wrote:

> Rich Kulawiec wrote:
>> If the effort that will go into administering this went instead
>> into reclaiming IPv4 space that's obviously hijacked and/or being
>> used by abusive operations, we'd all benefit.
>
> But they can't do that without impacting revenue.  In order to
> continue
> charging fees that are wholly out of proportion to their cost ARIN
> must:
>
>  A) ignore all the unneeded legacy /16 allocations, even those owned
> by
>  organizations with fewer than 300 employees (like net.com) who could
>  easily get by with a /24
>
>  B) do nothing while IPv6 languishes due to the absence of a
> standard for
>  one-to-many NAT and NAPT for v6 and v4/v6
>
>  C) periodically raise fees and implement minimal measures like
> requiring
>  someone to sign a statement of need, so they can at least appear to
> have
>  been proactive when the impacts of this artificial shortage really
> begin
>  to impact communications
>
> Bottom line: it's about the money.  Money and short-term self-
> interest,
> same as is causing havoc in other sectors of the economy.  Nothing new
> here.

Roger -

     A few nits:

     A) ARIN's not ignoring unneeded legacy allocations, but can't take
        action without the Internet community first making some policy
        on what action should be taken...  Please get together with
folks
        of similar mind either via PPML or via Public Policy meeting at
        the the Open Policy Bof, and then propose a policy accordingly.

     B) Technical standards for NAT & NAPT are the IETF's job, not
ARIN's.

     C) We've routinely lowered fees since inception, not raised them.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
Acting CEO