Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Apr 21 15:36:17 UTC 2009

Oddly enough, someone proposed something very much along these lines
at a couple of RIR meetings (see "IPv4 Soft Landing"), and in fact
used the 'driving into a brick wall' analogy.  Many of the folks who
commented on that policy proposal felt it was inappropriate for RIRs
to dictate business models (that is, if an ISP doesn't want to move to
IPv6, it wouldn't be 'right' for an RIR to force them to).   The
proposer eventually gave up as the impedance mismatch between reality
and the RIR policy making process became too great to observe without
breaking into uncontrollable giggles.

Regards,
-drc