Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon Apr 20 23:39:47 UTC 2009

Forwarded message:
> Subject: Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests
> From: ARIN Registration Services <do-not-reply at arin.net>
>
> Hello,
>
> With the approaching depletion of the IPv4 address free pool, the
> ARIN Board of Trustees has directed ARIN staff to take additional
> steps to ensure the legitimacy of all IPv4 address space requests.
> Beginning 18 May 2009, ARIN will require that all applications for
> IPv4 address space include an attestation of accuracy from an officer
> of the organization. For more information on this requirement, please
> see:
>
> https://www.arin.net/resources/agreements/officer_attest.html
>
> Whenever a request for IPv4 resources is received, ARIN will ask in
> its initial reply for the name and contact information of an officer
> of the organization who will be able to attest to the validity of the
> information provided to ARIN.
>
> At the point a request is ready to be approved, ARIN will send a summary
> of the request (via e-mail) to the officer with a cc: to the requesting
> POC (Tech or Admin) and ask the officer to attest to the validity of the
> information provided to ARIN. The summary will provide a brief overview
> of the request and an explanation of the required attestation. ARIN will
> include the original request template and any other relevant information
> the requestor provided.  Once ARIN receives the attestation from the
> officer, the request can be approved. Attestation may also be provided
> via fax or postal mail.
>
> For further assistance, contact ARIN's Registration Services Help Desk
> via e-mail to hostmaster at arin.net or telephone at +1.703.227.0660.

Let me see if I can understand this.

We're running out of IPv4 space.

Knowing that blatant lying about IP space justifications has been an
ongoing game in the community, ARIN has decided to "do something" about
it.

So now they're going to require an attestation.  Which means that they
are going to require an "officer" to "attest" to the validity of the
information.

So the "officer," most likely not being a technical person, is going to
contact ...  probably the same people who made the request, ask them if
they need the space.  Right?

And why would the answer be any different, now?

... JG