So I've got this 2.5gig wave, what do I do with it?

David Reader david.reader at zeninternet.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 14:41:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:02:29 -0400
Eric Van Tol <eric at atlantech.net> wrote:

> [...]

http://www.undone.org.uk/em2009-gm2.jpg

The modules we have use SFPs for both Access & Trunk (WDM) ports.

The only jumpers on the boards, to my recollection, are to choose between Gigabit Ethernet
or Fibre Channel line protocol on the access ports. The trunk port protocol is mrv proprietary
at two-and-a-bit Gbit/sec (2x GigE + TDM overhead).

My understanding is that they'll support any sane choice of SFP (some MRV SFPs are clearly
NOT sane choices for this card, such as the digital video coax module..)

MRV SFP modules sold as multirate or OC48 types can be used for the trunk port. We have some
of these cards running with "normal" 1310nm SFPs in the trunk ports where we only require
two Gbit services over a single fibre pair.

I can't comment on interop with other carriers' systems - we only use these on end-to-end
dark fibre.

MRV may able to advise whether or not their trunk protocol is likely to pass through
transponders (which may well try to reshape/retime) designed to transport SONET/SDH.

d.